28.11.10

this is an interim:

"I've always enjoyed the aesthetic of ordered junk. This was probably in part acquired from my grandfather, in part the result of being dragged around antique stores at too early an age, or maybe from my early days working at a boat marina; rummaging through drawer after drawer of neatly categorized nuts and bolts. In my workspace stepping on bits of metal is an annoyance, and melting rubber smells bad, so i am constantly sweeping. picking up scraps and neatly piling them according to size and form. 'slow fish' is the result of one of these piles. There are few things more important to an artist than sitting back and contemplating ones own mess. It was during one of these reprieves that i noticed a fish on my floor. I welded it together exactly as it lay and finished 'slow fish' on my workbench. It then spent several weeks bathing in the caribbean sea to give it a heavy patina of rust (vs. 'fast fish' which was wire brushed to silver as most fast fish are) and finally made its way to New York. I sculpted lots of fish before these two and a lot subsequently, and will continue to do so; but these two are the ones that taught me to remember serendipity, insight, 'opensight', and the importance of staying ripe."

pictures of the pieces referred to in the above escape me now (as fish often do) but i do have them. somewhere.
the above was written one year ago but never put anywhere.